Home Assistant is an open-source home automation platform that allows you to control and automate various smart devices and services in your home.
It serves as a central hub lets say for managing and integrating a wide range of smart home technologies, such as lights, thermostats, locks, cameras, sensors, and more from different manufacturers.
Home Assistant is highly customizable and offers extensive support for different brands and protocols, making it a versatile solution for creating a smart home ecosystem.
But if you are a beginner in installing an configuring Home Assistant you may encounter some problems along the way that make your Home Assistant instance to not work at all or not work properly.
In this article i will share with you what are the first things you can do then Home Assistant is Not Working.
Also if you have other common problems and fixes you can leave them in the common section below.
This article is for beginners! If you are an advanced user i guess i can waste your time with it.
For more advanced problems and request make sure to check:
- Error 300
- Error 404: Not Found
- Error 400: redirect_uri_mismatch
- Error 500 in Home Assistant
- Error 502: Bad Gateway in Home Assistant
- Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
- NSURLErrorDomain 1004, 1003 or NSURLErrorDomain 1200
- Home Assistant IP cant be reached
- Installation is Unhealthy: Home Assistant on Docker
Error 300 is a generic HTTP error that usually is related to an URL being incorrect.
This error can show for integrations that are not configured properly.
If the integration has a syntax defined in the configuration.yml, check if there are any URLs and make sure their correct.
Error 404: Not Found
The link link you are trying to acces isnt right.
Double check the URL and then try again.
This error usually occurs when you are trying to install Home Assistant or you are trying to install a
Error 400: redirect_uri_mismatch
This error is related to the Google Cloud Oauth URL for Nabucasa or for your custom Google Home integration.
For Nabucasa make sure your Subscriber ID is correct and that that in the URL.
And for the custom integration make sure in the configuration.yaml the project_id is defined correctly and also make sure that in Google Cloud at the Authorized redirect URIs the URL to your Home Assistant instance is correct.
Error 500 in Home Assistant
Usually an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error in Home Assistant typically indicates that there is an issue with the Home Assistant server itself, or with one of its components or configurations.
Most of the time this error is associated with a syntax in the automations.yaml.
If you copied an automation from the internet, check if you copied the entire code corectly.
Error 502: Bad Gateway in Home Assistant
This error points to an addon that for some reason isnt loading properly.
In most cases the easiest fix for this is to just restart Home Assistant or restart the plugin separately.
If you are running Home Assistant inside of Docker, just restart the container with the command:
Also another thing to mention. In the case of integrations that return Error 502, that are dependent on external hardware (ex: Zigbee to MQTT) try to unplug/plug the hardware (ex: the Zigbee USB stick).
Error 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable
Error is occurring when trying to install a module or external service.
In most situations this is a problem with the link that you are trying to acces.
If you are trying to download and a add-on or integration via SSH that runs a bash script for installation, double check that the link is correct.
Also try the command:
wget -O – -U https://your-link-here.com | bash –
And make sure that when copying/pasting the installation command for the script that you did copied all the characters.
NSURLErrorDomain 1004, 1003 or NSURLErrorDomain 1200
This is most likely a DNS issue.
As a matter of fact the majority of the 1000 error are related to DNS.
If you are using duckdns or other dns provider, try restarting the service.
Also if you are getting this error on iOS try going to Settings, WIFI and disable „Limit IP Address Tracking”.
Home Assistant IP cant be reached
First check your router interface to make sure the machine is getting an IP address.
If it gets an IP address try first to reboot the host machine.
If it doesn’t get an IP:
- update the drivers on the machine
- remove any adapter configurations that you may have (custom DNS)
- flush the DNS resolver on the host
- make sure the internet is working on the host machine
- try a different ethernet cable
- if you run the connection over WIFI, plug a cable (if you can)
- and assign it a public IP address
- if you run Home Assistant on Windows make sure to check the firewall rules
If the machine gets an IP, can be reached from the local network but not from the internet:
- if you run HASS behind a firewall or a generic home router, check the ports that you have opened to the internet (usually 443 and 80) – make sure the ports are pointing to the correct IP of the host in your network
- if you are using DuckDNS, restart the integration and make sure the settings are correct
- if you are using Cloudflare DDNS in docker, make sure that the API key is correct and Cloudflare can ping your host machine (check the router again)
- for Cloudflare Tunnel make sure the tunnel is showing as connected in the admin control panel and also that the host IP/port is correct.
Installation is Unhealthy: Home Assistant on Docker
This error will block any updates and also sometimes prevent the system from restarting.
If you are running Home Assistant in Docker with Portainer installed this is most likely the problem.
Try to stop Portainer, restart Home Assistant and Aome Assistant Supervised containers, do the updates and then start back up Portainer.
Also you can try to use this command in terminal:
ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy
This wont fix the issues! System will remain unhealthy but it will no longer block the installation of new updates.
Those are the most common errors that i can think about, but of course there are other errors than can occur depending on your local environment and configuration.
If you ran into a different error you can leave it in the comment section below.